Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Unus Pro Omnibus, Omnes Pro Ono.

We were often called the three musketeers, because we were practically inseparable and accomplished most things with perseverance. Our only and very apparent downfall was that we thought we were invincible and never approached situations with caution. However, we were lucky enough to escape most situations unharmed. From the first time Brett set his foot on a skateboard and tried to Ollie a ten-set weathered with broken glass, to the time when Logan couldn't find his paint ball mask and decided that he would be alright to play. We escaped the majority of our risky scenarios unharmed. It should be noted that Brett bailed and scraped his once frail elbows and Logan received a paint ball travelling at three-hundred feet per second on his left upper cheek. None-the-less, we seemed to have inherited horseshoes and rabbit feet upon friendship.

In retrospect, even leprechauns know that luck will only take you so far, and eventually your choices will catch up to you in the future. Irresponsibly, our choices were usually not the best to make. And inevitably, they would grasp onto our backs as soon as the opportunity struck. This opportunity struck on blistering day in Spring. We had all been caught in our latest mischievous and  inconsiderate activity, ingesting Marijuana. We were brought together by our parents to discuss the matter and what kind of consequences would be enforced. I scanned the unsettling environment with my remorseful hazel eyes and took a look at my partners in crime. Brett had a blank stare on his face and looked as though he was in other state, while Logan seemed to be wearing the same face as mine, guilty and regretting his actions. After the discussion with our parents, we conversed with each other and picked at our perspectives on the matter. Being that I had only been involved with the drug for about two months, I made the compliant decision to follow my parents advice. Above all, the disappointment  lingering on my mother's face was enough to resist any urge I had. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about my two best friends. When I asked them if they planned on quitting, Logan could only give an imprudent shrug as he looked towards the clouds forming and Brett impulsively stated that he would willingly accept if someone offered. Although my only wish of them was to have the same attitude as my own, it was not my place to demand this of them. The only thing I could do was
keep my willpower intact and to suggest the concept to them without being over-baring.

Many people with hold the belief that Marijuana is not an addictive substance. This is partially truthful, because there is no physical withdrawal of coming off the substance. However, it is one of the most difficult drugs to quit, because where it cannot control you physically, it can can control you mentally. The mental addiction had begun to pull Logan and Brett further into the drug. In the beginning, they would go out to smoke during lunch, soon they were skipping classes to partake in their favourite hobby, then they started to miss entire days of school to blaze. I saw less and less of my comrades as each day passed. Although I missed them insurmountably, I didn't cave into the pressure to see them. I only hoped that they would be able to comprehend that they were losing out on long-term memories for short-term satisfaction.

Despite my hopes, wishes and propositions I had for them, the outcome only worsened. One month later, they were both expelled from school for the possession of Marijuana. I was later divulge of their situation by an acquaintance from school. As the words shot out and punctured my ears, tears began to swell in my eyes. I left school that day with a feeling of overwhelming emptiness. Logan was able to bounce back and have a successful year at another school, but Brett hasn't been back to school since. Although it saddens me to say this, I am glad I was able to make the decision to separate myself from my friends during their adventures, because it made me the independent person I am today. We are still friends to this day, but we are not the three musketeers that we once were.

No comments:

Post a Comment